Thursday, February 18, 2010

Open Heart Parenting

As a parent, you often wish there are published books telling you how you should parent and what you should do. Recently, I stumbled upon a book that was getting a lot of buzz. I ordered it, started reading it and am very pleased with it to date. Upon mentioning it to my sister, she told me about a poem she had heard a ways back and gave me the author's name and the poem title. I found it online and immediately felt inner peace. Serious inner peace...like I haven't felt in a very long time. Please read the poem below by Kahlil Gibran.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I now know my "true" purpose as a parent and welcome God's plan willingly. I will do my best to guide and nuture my child instilling a foundation of God's teachings, being a good role model and example, but allowing them to become exactly what God has intended them to be or do. This is an awesome message to parents, but you must have an open mind and open heart to embrace it. It's not an easy path, but trust in God - He does not lead you astray.

The book I have started reading that mirrors this mindset is Loving Our Kids on Purpose by Danny Silk. You can buy it here on Amazon if you are interested. I suggest if you must get ONE book on parenting, that this be the book - it's full of amazing information of how to teach your children to manage their freedom and choices all the while developing a respectful and trusting relationship with them. My daughter is only 3 years old, however, I would like to see if I can't implement some of these principles to instill in her the independence of making good choices for years to come.

What are some of your favorite parenting words of wisdom?

(Image courtesy of Amazon.com)

No comments:

OlderPostsTX